Be Covered is a grassroots campaign working to increase the health and welfare of the community by helping them understand how to use their insurance and also assisting those who still need coverage prepare for the next enrollment period.
Sign up to get information about health care changes and resources first-hand.
How to Renew
It’s Easy to Keep Your Health Insurance Coverage for Next Year
Each year, you have a chance to keep or change your plan during open enrollment on the Health Insurance Marketplace. All 2017 Marketplace health plans will come up for renewal during open enrollment. Open enrollment starts this year on November 1, 2017, and closes on December 15, 2017. The Marketplace is the website where you can compare and shop for health coverage that fits your budget.
Here are the top things you need to know about how to renew or change your health plan:
This fall, your insurance plan will send you a notice about any changes to the benefits of your plan and your monthly premiums. In some cases, your current plan may not be available in 2018.
Review this notice to see your plan’s changes for 2018 and if it will still meet your needs. Call or visit the plan’s website to make sure your doctors will still be in network for the next year. Also make sure all your prescriptions will still be covered by your plan.
If you want to keep your plan:
If you’re happy with your plan, and neither your income nor household size have changed, you can keep the same plan for 2018. Even if your income has not changed, you may be eligible for financial help in 2018. Check the Marketplace to see if you qualify for assistance. If your income or family size has changed, you’ll need to tell the Marketplace. If you don’t, you may owe money when you file your 2017 tax return. This may also change the savings you are eligible for in 2018.
If you want to change your plan:
- You can stay with your current insurance company and choose another Marketplace health plan that they offer.
- Choose a new health plan from a different insurance company through the Marketplace. You can visit the Marketplace online at healthcare.gov.
- Buy a new private health plan outside of the Marketplace. Plans not offered on the Marketplace won’t be eligible for financial assistance that gives you lower costs on monthly premiums and lower out-of-pocket costs.
- If changes are made, your new plan will take effect January 1, 2018, if you enroll by December 15. You should continue to pay for your current plan to maintain coverage in 2017.
If your current plan is unavailable:
- In some cases, your current plan may not be available in 2018. If that’s the case, you will be able to choose another plan.
- If your plan is unavailable for 2017, you may qualify for a special enrollment period, which lets you sign up outside of open enrollment, if you need to. For questions about renewing or choosing a plan on the Health Insurance Marketplace, visit healthcare.gov or call 1-800-318-2596.
If you do not have health insurance:
You can enroll in a plan for 2018 on the Marketplace at healthcare.gov, from November 1, 2017, through December 15, 2017. On the Marketplace you can compare and shop for health coverage that meets your needs and fits your budget. Click here to learn how to enroll in coverage that’s right for you.